Do I need a burn permit/How do I get one?

From October 15 through May 15, anyone starting an open-air fire within 500 feet of a forest, grassland, or woodland must by law secure a burning permit from the Division of Forestry. 

Permits are not required for burning in containers such as a metal barrel with a ½" mesh screen cover.  In addition, you should notify the 911 Center at 296-7792 any time of year when you will be doing a controlled burn.  We will notify the appropriate fire department in the event someone reports seeing the smoke.

Permits are free of charge and may be obtained by calling (877) 350-2876.  You can also obtain a permit online for piles of leaves or brush measuring 8X8 feet or less by following the link below.   Burning permits are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., except on holidays. Permits may be obtained in advance for weekends and holidays.

TN Division of Forestry link.